“Let not the sun go down on your wrath” (Eph. 4:26) is a clear reminder that we are to process our emotional upsets daily, before drifting off to sleep. There are many reasons for this:
- Our dreams work on whatever we present to our hearts as we drift off to sleep. It is so much better for dreams to be presenting divine inventions rather than processing emotional upset.
- Harboring negative emotions is extremely destructive to our immune systems and our health.
- We are to abide in God’s kingdom emotions which are faith, hope, love, joy, peace, and thanksgiving (Rom. 14:17; Gal. 5:22; 1 Cor. 13:13; 1 Thess. 5:18).
Just before going to bed, or as you lie in bed, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal and help you process and heal any emotional upset, showing you His perspective on troubling situations. Release all negative emotions to Jesus, asking Him to circumcise your heart, cutting them out and granting you a new healed heart and spirit. Breathe out any negative emotions, and breathe in His spirit of love, joy, and peace.
“The Daily Examen” by Saint Ignatius
You may choose to take the following steps laid out by Saint Ignatius (more here).
- Become still in God’s presence.
- Express gratitude and thankfulness to Him.
- Lord, how did my day go?
- I repent for failures.
- I choose to grow and change by Your grace.