Did You Know That All Six of God’s Foundational Doctrines Deal with the Release of the Spirit?
As a teenager, I worked for a construction crew which laid brick and mortar foundations for buildings. When we completed a foundation, we moved on to another site and laid another foundation. A few years later, I worked for another construction crew, called a "roughing crew" which built the wood frame home structures on top of a foundation. When we showed up at the construction site, the foundation was already there and we simply built upon it.
In our Christian lives, we first build a foundation. When it is complete, we build our lives upon that foundation. Jesus talks about some who build upon sand rather than the rock and when the storm hits, those with the faulty foundation fall (Matt. 7:24-27). So what if my foundation is faulty? What if I used the wrong materials and the foundation of my spiritual life cannot withstand the pressures that come against it and everything comes crashing down? Wouldn't that be tragic?
In counseling I have come across situations where a Christian becomes demonized and is tormented by that fact. It is so defiling to their identity of who they are as a Christian they frantically try to get it out. However, deliverance ministry doesn't work. In this situation, my counsel is, "Restore your foundation and the demons will come out easily." So what does that mean? What do they need to restore to their lives?
What exactly is the foundation of our being, the core of our identity? Who are we deep within?
What is the FOUNDATION of the Christian's life?
God has clearly stated what He considers foundational:
Let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of instruction about baptisms and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. And this we will do, if God permits (Heb. 6:1-3).
A building inspector inspects the foundation and if done properly, grants a "permit" for the construction to continue. If the foundation is not built to specifications, the permit is not granted, and it must be fixed before continuing to build. I truly believe God does the same thing in our lives. He gives us permission to go on if we have laid the foundation properly, and if not, then we need to go back and work on our foundation.
All six foundational experiences deal with encountering and releasing the River of the Holy Spirit.
- Repentance from dead works – Since my new identity is that I am joined to Christ (1 Cor. 6:17), I now only do "live works," those the Spirit directs (Jn. 5:19,20,30). A live work is birthed, guided by, empowered and cumulated by the Holy Spirit. A dead work is anything done in separation from God. It is like an Ishmael, in that I come up with the idea on my own (Gen.16:1,20) rather than God speaking it (Gen. 12:1-3).
- Faith toward God – I believe the River of the Spirit flows within me (Jn. 7:37-39). I have a revelation of the truth that the River of God flows within me. I honor it by living out of its flow (Jn. 6:63). This is completely different than self-initiated behavior (Jn. 14:10; 16:13)
- Doctrine of baptisms – I experience several baptisms. Two of these are baptized in water and baptized in the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1-38). The baptism in the Holy Spirit endues me with power so I can cast out demons, heal the sick and do the works of my heavenly Father (Acts 1:8).
- Laying on of hands – I release the Spirit as I lay hands on people (Mk. 6:5). Jesus healed by laying hands on the sick and releasing to them the healing power of God which was flowing within Him. The power of The River which flows within me (Jn. 7:37-39) is released to others as I lay hands on them and also see the sick healed.
- Resurrection of the dead – I'm actually dead and Christ lives through me (Gal. 2:20). Every day I acknowledge that I choose to live out of divine initiative by tuning to flow within, rather than doing things based on my own strength and reasonings (Jn. 8:28; Matt. 16:5-12). I don't picture life as me living, and God as ONLY up in heaven, but rather I picture true reality, that the Spirit is alive and flowing from within me. I am one spirit with Him (1 Cor. 6:17). Jesus is present, living His life out through me. Not only do I sense the Spirit within, but I also see Jesus at my right hand (Acts 2:25), and I also see that I am His body (1 Cor.12:27). So it's Jesus alive standing here, rather than me. Seeing and believing that and living tuned to His Spirit within sure removes fear, hopelessness, unworthiness and inferiority.
- Eternal judgment – I choose to leave judging to God (Rom. 14:4,13; Heb. 12:23) so I can focus on compassionately touching and blessing all I encounter. Jesus, moved by compassion, healed (Matt. 14:14). Healing power rides on the carrier wave of compassion. I choose to release a healing compassionate touch to all I meet so I give up judging. I begin by allowing God to love me first and then I extend His love, flowing within me, out to others.
And yes, there is much more that can be said about each of God’s foundational doctrines, but the above statements are core meanings of each of the six.
Many do NOT see that the River which flows from the Throne IS what creates fruitfulness!
He showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb ... On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations (Rev. 12:1-2).
Ezekiel saw “A river.. on the bank of the river there were very many trees… everything will live where the river goes (Ezek. 47:1-9).
From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water … this He spoke of the Spirit (Jn. 7:37,38).
Our lifestyle is to be one of living and walking by the Spirit (Gal. 5:25). Jesus did. He did nothing on His own initiative, but only what He heard and saw His Father doing (Jn. 5:19,20,30). His birth was surrounded by dreams of guidance and protection.
One Pentecostal group of churches I know will not ordain a minister unless they sign a statement saying they don't believe in dreams!! Wow! Really? One-third of the Bible gone, just like that!
Training people how to manifest the 9-fold manifestation of the Spirit should be foundational in any church (1 Cor. 12:7-11). Since the flesh profits nothing, and it is only Jesus' spoken words (rhema's) which are Spirit and life (Jn. 6:63), the most important thing to teach is how to hear His voice.
However, I too was exactly like those who ignore the Spirit. I believed Christian growth centered around theology and setting my will to be better. I've had to repent for my worship of two false gods: rationalism (relying on reason) and humanism (believing it is about me and my strength).
I now choose to be nourished by His River daily, which includes His voice, vision, dreams, emotions, encountering angels and feeling the energizing power of His Spirit (Rom. 8:2).
Let's restore to the Spirit His place of centrality in the Christian's life!
Make sure you are laying a GOOD foundation. Let's get back to God's basics, which are that I live and walk in the Spirit (Gal. 5:25). This begins with daily communion with God in the Garden. This is my established, new identity. This is where the power to overcome the flesh comes from. This is where the power to repel demons flows from. This is where life, joy and happiness appear. This is where our healing touch to the world comes from.
Interaction with the Spirit is the center of everything. Then, when the earthquake hits, you are left standing!
River of Life Application - Come swim in God's River
- Click here for a free streaming instrumental audio Holy Spirit encounter - In this devotional you are led into an encounter with the Holy Spirit. With the eyes of your heart you will see the reality of Ezekiel 47:1-12 and Revelation 22:1,2. You will also see yourself as in the Upper Room in Acts 2:1-4, being immersed in the Holy Spirit. As you meditate on this, and enter deeply into it, the Holy Spirit can and will bring intimacy, transformation, and healing.
- Engage in daily fellowship with God in the cool of the day. Do two-way journaling.
- Experience the River of the Holy Spirit Instrumental Devotional daily.
- Introduce new believers to the Holy Spirit immediately upon conversion! The book Your Extraordinary Life is designed to do exactly that, and you can purchase a box of 52 of these books for $52 plus shipping by contacting 716-681-4896.
- Here are 20+ training modules which place the Holy Spirit at the center of each lesson, each week. You are led into Spirit encounters in EVERY training experience. Perfect for you and those you disciple.
Links to this entire series
Introduction - We Are the Bridge
Related Blogs:Saturate the World with Communion with God