I wanted real life stories of how people received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gift of speaking in tongues, so I sent out an email asking for people to share their testimonies with me. Below are 20 such stories I received back. My guess is that if we did a survey of 2000, what we have below would be fairly typical of the 2000. So what do we learn from their true life stories?
The baptism in the Holy Spirit involves an interaction with the Holy Spirit. It is a yielding of my faculties to a greater degree to the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to take control of them. It is an empowering experience. Whenever the Spirit guides an action, power is present. The simplest gift to manifest is tongues, so that is a great place to begin, although not necessarily the only place to begin as in one story in Acts, prophecy was part of the initial manifestation of the Spirit.
Summarized reflections on the 20 testimonies
- It took time: You will note that about 3/4 did not begin praying in tongues when they first desired to or received prayer for it.
- At home alone: About 3/4 received the gift of tongues at home alone.
- Lack of knowledge: About 50% said they could have spoken in tongues much sooner had someone explained clearly to them how this miracle occurs.
- Fear and doubt: About 50% specifically mentioned they had to battle with fear or doubt and that caused them to resist the baptism and tongues for a period of time.
- Emotions: About 50% specifically mentioned that they experienced intense emotion when baptized in the Holy Spirit… meaning 50% probably didn’t.
- Needing deliverance: ¼ specifically mentioned that deliverance opened up the Holy Spirit’s flood.
- Amazing impact – The baptism in the Holy Spirit brought new things into people’s lives
- I received the gifts of interpretation of tongues and prophecy
- I could hear God so much clearer than before
- I experienced an intimate relationship with Jesus
- I had a passion to read and study the Bible and pursue righteousness
- Scriptures I had read countless times before suddenly became alive
- I started getting urges to preach these revelations
- I felt ten pounds lighter within MINUTES
- I couldn't stand under the weight of His glory and went down on my knees
- I was filled with warm liquid Love
The above reflections are typical of my own experience. It took time as I pursued it for months. When I did speak in tongues it was when I was home alone. If someone could have taught me more clearly I could have spoken in tongues much sooner. Speaking in tongues was so simple, I battled with doubt for months. Speaking in tongues did not come with an emotional rush, however the Bible came alive to me as I realized I COULD live and experience huge sections of Scripture which I had been told were no longer available to me today.
Five ingredients which open the door to the baptism in the Holy Spirit
- Believe it is available – according to your faith be it unto you (Matt. 9:29; Heb. 11:6)
- Ask the Lord for it – we have not because we ask not (Jn. 16:24; Jas. 4:2)
- Earnestly desire it – get passionate. Go after it! (1 Corinthians 14:1)
- Love – love is the carrier wave of the Spirit (Acts 2:1-4 – they were in one accord)
- Yield – your tongue from self-control to Spirit control (Acts 2:4 – they spoke as the Spirit gave them utterance)
Donna Albrecht from Australia shares her testimony of being baptized in the Holy Spirit
I have been speaking in tongues for about 3 years now. I was born again 16 years ago and had the attitude that if God wanted me to have tongues He would have given it to me. Just over 3 years ago I was having some healing prayer ministry to deal with spirits, curses, and vows, from being involved with the New Age movement before I was a Christian. I renounced a lot of involvement with many things, and bowing down to other gods. When I got to the kundalini yoga and chakra things, and renounced them, as I got to praying about the "throat chakra" and renounced and gave Lordship to God only over this now, God said to me, "This is why I have not given you a gift of tongues yet, as your throat and mouth have not been under my authority. From now on you will be able to pray in the Spirit." Later that day I received the gifts of tongues and now, 3 years on I have a number of spirit languages. Words of knowledge and prophecy are also beginning to increase as well.
Over the next period of time I will be posting testimonies from 20 people who share in their own words how they received the baptism in the Holy Spirit. It is amazing to hear the how different and yet the same each person’s story is.
Related Resources:How to Be Empowered by the Holy Spirit!