I would like to share just one example of the transforming impact that biblical mediation has had in my life. I received the following revelation as I meditated on this Scripture:
“But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory…” (2 Cor. 3:18)
I fought to be transformed in several areas of my life. I did not like the sin I saw in my life in these areas, and even though I focused intently on overcoming the sin, I was not able to get rid of it. All I felt was guilt, condemnation and despair, as I said, “Lord, I cannot overcome this sin, no matter what I do.”
So as I prayerfully meditated on the above Scripture, I asked, “Lord, what do you mean that we are transformed as we behold the glory of the Lord.” I behold the misery of my sin and I am not experiencing anything other than condemnation. You have clearly said there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ. Aren’t I “in You?” What is my problem?
Then the Lord spoke in my journal
Mark, whatever you focus on, grows within you, and whatever grows within you, you become. Focus on Me and My glory, and you will be transformed into My likeness. You become a reflection of that which you gaze upon.”
Wow! So I don’t gaze at my sin, or my weakness and inability to overcome it, or the biblical laws which tell me not to do it. Instead focus on You! Oh my gosh! What an insight. I had been focusing in all the wrong places. When I focused on my sin, sinfulness grew within me and I became a bigger sinner. When I focused on Biblical law, law grew within me and I became a legalist. When I focused on my weakness to keep the law, guilt and condemnation grew within me, and I became depressed.
Now, it is clear that I am to fix my eyes on Jesus (Acts 2:25;Heb. 12:1,2) and Jesus grows within me. Can I roar this from the hilltops? All my life I have practiced Christianity wrong! And it has produced guilt, condemnation and death. Now in a flash of revelation, which I received as a result of prayerfully meditating on Scripture, I saw the light, I am to fix my eyes on Jesus, and Jesus grows within me and I become Christ-like.
This one revelation has transformed my entire approach to Christianity, as well as my preaching and my writing style. Now I preach and write about who Christ is within the believer and how to tap into His indwelling life. Everything changed in a blinding flash of revelation. My life was completely transformed. This is biblical meditation at work. This is what we want you, our reader to experience.
Biblical Meditation: “God’s Spirit utilizing every faculty of my heart and mind, bringing forth revelation which ushers in transformation.”
I encourage you to make the seven step meditation process one of the various ways you journal. You may not always go through all 7 steps in the process and that is fine. For example, some days you may focus more on simply Spirit-anointed study where you are reasoning together with the Holy Spirit and recording what He is showing you. Some days your heart may call for simple two-way journaling. Some days, journaling out a dream and its interpretation. Some days you may feel led to use this 7 step process. Enjoy the variety the Holy Spirit offers to your life and do what your heart is feeling led to do, rather than following a law which says you must do the exact same thing every day.
Pastor Jim French Tries the 7 Step Meditation Process
"I used this technique this morning and it was wonderful. It was one of the most intimate times I have had with the Lord in quite a while. Bottom line is I found this very effective and I plan to use it more in the future. Thank you. Below is my journaling from today, as I used this method." Pastor Jim French
Meditation Verse: John 14:1 “Do not let your heart be troubled: Believe in God, believe in Me also.”
As I meditated on this verse the Lord showed me a vision of a heart; my heart which was pierced with arrows. I asked Him what the arrows were and what He wanted to tell me.
My Journal Entry
"Son, our hearts are fused: they are one. But there are some aspects of your heart that you have not completely yielded to me. I await your decision to do so.
"The arrows you saw were wounds in your heart from people and events; past hurts and pains. The choice is yours to hold onto them or release them. But if you choose to deal with the wounds yourself, the arrows will remain.
"Only I can truly remove the arrows and heal the wounds, but you must yield these to me. Jim, the ministry places you in a position of vulnerability. I ask you to pour your life into people who may not accept you as my servant and messenger. They too have their own pain which will not allow them to trust. In ministering you must not allow rejection to penetrate your heart.
"Remember, you were not sent to heal, I am. Your job is to present me in every situation and any acceptance or rejection is acceptance or rejection of me. You must make a conscious decision to not accept any rejection or you will be wounded again. The wounds in your heart make it more difficult for me to minister through you. Yield these wounds and the people who inflicted them to me and I will heal you."
Yes, Lord. I release these wounds and the people who inflicted them to you. Forgive me for hanging onto them. I repent and ask for your grace to not allow hurt to penetrate my heart again. Thank You, Lord!
Lyle Thomas Tries Group Meditation in Russia
Mark, I just wanted to report on our great evening. I tried your 7 Step Meditation Process with our group last week. I began by doing a short teaching on the 7 step process and then we went through the meditation process together on the verse which we were discussing for the night, which was “Greet one other with a holy kiss” (1 Cor. 16:20). As you can imagine, at first it was all jokes and some suggestions that we not do the 7 Step Meditation Process on this verse. But we went for it.
The results were so great that we didn't even finish discussing the verse that night and will continue discussing it next time we get together. Everyone had a deep and profound sense of various aspects of the heart of the Father in giving us this command.
We're going to have an all-day gathering soon and practice the 7 Step Meditation Process some more. For now I'll say that we started with a general discussion to get ideas on the table. Then I guided them through the 7 steps, one at a time, so that they did them simultaneously. When we were meditating, I encouraged them to pray out loud, mumble, repeat phrases, roar, whatever. Other steps were silent. At the end they all shared their journaling/impressions with everyone else.
There is an amazing group dynamic or synergy that occurs when doing the 7 Step Meditation Process together and the multicolored result is powerful. I've asked for some of them to forward me their journaling on this verse…
St. Petersburg, Russia
Blogs On Meditation and Using the Eyes of Your Heart as You Approach God
- How to Meditate on Scripture & Receive Life-Transforming Revelation
- Hebrew and Greek Definitions of Meditation
- Western Study Versus Biblical Meditation
- 7 Step Meditation Process Explored
- 7 Step Meditation Bookmark (shown at right)
- Healing Scriptures for Meditation
- 4 Keys to Hearing God’s Voice
- What Does the Bible Teach about Visualization?
- You Can See Visions! They Are a Pathway to God
- Poised Before Almighty God
- Lord, When Is “Priming The Pump” Acceptable and Unacceptable?
- Initiative - Should I Take It? by Charity Kayembe
- Help! I Have Trouble Seeing Vision!
- Protestantism's 500-Year-Old Bitter Root Judgment and Inner Vow (a chance to repent)
- Training Your Child to Encounter Jesus - Godly Imagination & Visions
- How to Receive Revelation Knowledge
Books And Courses On Meditation And Spiritual Formation
- Hearing God Through Biblical Meditation book
- Meditation: How to Study the Bible in the Presence of God ebook
- The Art of Biblical Meditation Interactive Online Course from School of the Spirit
- Training Package - 4 Keys To Hearing God's Voice (One key is to use vision)
- Training Package - Hear God Through Your Dreams (Dreams utilize imagery)
- Book - Am I Being Deceived? (Difference between New Agers and Christians)
- Book - Secret Place (Examples of God painting beautiful scenes during prayer times)
- Divine Healing Toolbox CD/DVD Set (using vision while praying for healing)
- Training Package - Prayers That Heal the Heart (Inner healing prayer utilizes vision)
- Sound Doctrine Through Revelation Knowledge by Mark and Patti Virkler – an alternative to traditional hermeneutics.
- The Great Mystery – Christ in You by Mark and Patti Virkler – Explores all New Testament verses that describe what Jesus provides for you through His indwelling Spirit.
- How to Walk by the Spirit by Mark and Patti Virkler – Explores Scriptures concerning the heart
- Intimacy with the Holy Spirit by Mark and Patti Virkler– Explores Scriptures concerning the Holy Spirit
- How Do You Know? by Mark and Patti Virkler – Explores hundreds of verses which reveal God’s prescribed methodology for discovering truth.
Go Deeper - Get Healthy!
Check out this entire blog series on Vibrant Health! - Miracles PLUS Gifts of Healings. Working through this series on health is ideal for both individuals and groups. The more we take responsibility for ourselves - spirit, soul and body - the healthier we become! Won't you join me in living to at least 100 in vibrant health?
Related Blogs:Word of Faith