I just finished reading Joshua Mills' upcoming book, Power Portals and I found it very inspirational and helpful. We all have noted that certain people have anointings in their lives for specific tasks. These include healing the sick, creating wealth, evangelizing with power and authority, releasing divine creativity and healing a specific illness, to name a few. Each of these is the manifestation and release of a specific anointing of the Holy Spirit.
These specialized anointings can be called by many names, but in this new book, Joshua Mills calls them Power Portals, which he refers to as a gate one can walk through which takes them to a new level of faith, anointing and power. It reminds me of John Arnott. I recently heard him share his testimony as to how he moved into birthing the huge worldwide revival that broke out in his church in Toronto, Canada. John Arnott had a spirit-born passion to see revival in his church. The Lord told him to give Him his mornings. So for many months John and Carol spent hours each morning in Bible meditation, worship and prayer.
God also told him to hang around others who were into revival. So John attended a revival service in South America and as the prayer ministry was taking place, John found himself being prayed for and then laying on the floor in the sanctuary of the church. The lead pastor turned to him and said, “Do you want this?” John replied, "Of course I do." The pastor said, “Then TAKE it!”
That one statement jolted John and he went from passively waiting for God to do it, to “meeting God halfway”, as John defined it.
So how do you meet God halfway?
I want to suggest several steps we take in the release of a new anointing. John took them, Joshua Mills took them, Shawn Bolz took them, I have taken them, as have probably all others who move in an anointed ministry. These steps take one into the release of a new anointing in the Holy Spirit. They are:
- You experience a Spirit-born passionate desire to master a specific area.
- You apply yourself, seeking God’s revelation and gaining understanding and experience in the specific area.
- You receive insight and impartation from people who already manifest this specific anointing.
- You ask God for the release of this anointing in your life and then affirm in faith that you HAVE received it.
- You utilize the language of the heart. Out of the heart flow the issues (boundaries) of your life. (See this blog on the 7 elements of the language of the heart.)
- You act in faith allowing God to release His power, anointing and glory into your life in this new area or this new way.
I have used the above steps in my life as I have sought for new breakthroughs and new anointings to be released. No new anointing is established overnight. We press into these areas as we follow the steps above. I normally take a year or two to master a new area and the release of a new anointing. John Wimber said he prayed for 5,000 people before he saw his first person healed. Then healing came rapidly. Edison did 6,000 experiments before perfecting the light bulb. I have done thousands of experiments to perfect a new area.
One of the things Shawn Bolz did to become proficient in receiving words of knowledge was to practice. He practiced getting words of knowledge for people by taking his church directory and each morning asking God for a word of knowledge for the next three people in the directory list. He would then give them a phone call to see if they had any prayer needs and could pray with them. Through this method he was able to verify and then release the word of knowledge to them that God had given him. Shawn now has a most amazing anointing in releasing words of knowledge.
Is taking a year or two to move in a new anointing too long a time? Not really, especially if for the rest of our lives we have the capacity to move in this new anointing. Jesus said, "My rhemas are spirit and life. The flesh profits nothing" (Jn. 6:63). It is only the anointing (manifestation and fruit) of the Spirit that accomplish the work of the Kingdom (1 Cor. 12:7-11; Gal. 5:22-25).
Joshua Mills calls the release of a new anointing of the Holy Spirit a gate or portal which we learn to walk through. As we do, we experience another of the supernatural provisions which God has provided for us. You will find Joshua Mills' new book, Power Portals, to be inspiring and enlightening. It will increase your faith challenging you to step through a new portal, and release a new anointing. Joshua discusses in detail the portals he has walked through and how he does that. I am confident the Holy Spirit will lift various truths from the pages of his book, and speak them directly into your heart.
By faith we speak, that "I HAVE the anointing to .... " (whatever the passion is that God has placed in your life). Abraham said his name was "Abraham" (meaning "the father of many nations") for a year before his wife became pregnant with their first child. So we call things into being by faith and the word of our testimony, all based on the passions, desires and words God has placed in our hearts. Then we act in faith until the anointing and miracle is fully manifest in our lives.
We NEVER QUIT UNTIL WE HAVE THE VICTORY! (This means we never fail.)
- But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place (2 Cor. 2:14).
- Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 15:57).
- In all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us (Rom. 8:37).
- I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus (Phil. 3:14).
- For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith (1 Jn. 5:4).
The "impossible" has been done over and over by those who believe all things are possible (Mk. 9:23)!
Related Resources:How to Be Empowered by the Holy Spirit! How to Hear God's Voice! Spiritual Transformations