What does a blessing look like? A true blessing spoken over someone or something is describing the way God sees them. This is a prophetic insight concerning the way someone or something is supposed to be. It may not be evident yet in the natural realm, so we are speaking things that are not as thou they were (Mk. 11:23-26).
So when we talk about blessing someone, we are prophetically stating: “May the Lord grant you all of His intention for you,” or, “May God’s full expectation for you be fulfilled in your life.”
I don’t withhold a blessing until they deserve it or are walking in it. I call it forth, speaking it into existence.
The First blessing in the Bible: God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth" (Gen. 1:28).
God’s blessing upon Abraham: I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing. And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed" (Gen. 12:2,3 - Note that when we curse, we receive a curse back).
Every creature ultimately blesses Jesus: saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing." And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever." (Rev. 5:12-13)
Examples of spoken blessings
- For our national leaders – You are called to lift up righteousness, as righteousness exults a nation (Prov. 14:34). May your eyes and heart be open to perceive the purposes of God and speak them into existence (Eph. 1:17,18).
- For my spouse: We serve God together, fulfilling and blessing one another’s lives in all the ways God has intended. His blessing is upon our marriage.
- For my children: God has created you to fulfill a key role in the bringing forth of His kingdom. May you perceive and walk in all God has designed for you.
Yes, Jesus did speak against the Pharisees as a group (Matt. 23:1-39; Jn. 8:39-47). However some within that group, such as Nicodemus, (Jn. 3:1-15), received mercy and grace.
Benefits I receive when I bless rather than curse
Not only do I benefit the person whom I speak or pray a blessing over, I too experience benefits. I move from discouragement to hope, from judging to loving, from speaking death to speaking life.
I have faith for the future, which makes life worth living once again.
Since love, compassion and blessing turn on healing genes and turn off inflammatory genes my health improves (Prov. 17:22).
Since I reap a harvest in light of what I have sowed out I reap blessings back rather than curses (Hos. 8:7; Deut. 28:1-63).
What’s not to like about this prayer approach!
- Lord, what do You want to speak to me concerning blessing those around me, and my national leaders?
- What circumstance do you want me to worship you in the midst of?
- The Power of Blessing by Rev. Kerry Kirkwood. Below are a few quotes from this wonderful book.
- Faith is agreement with God’s perspective. Without question, seeing someone’s potential through the eyes of God makes it easier to bless. Faith is essential to releasing the power of blessing.
- Blessing is also a form of worship. When we choose to bless we are acknowledging that God’s view of someone is greater than our own opinion.
- Withholding God’s heart and intention for someone is also a curse. Someone’s negative actions or attitude toward us is not even an excuse (no matter how justified we feel about it) to deny them blessing. We can take on their spirit by withholding any affection, blessing, or love which is due them. So, when a husband withholds blessings from his wife, his prayers can literally be hindered (1 Pet. 3:7).
- Unleashing Healing Power Prayer Workshop, which incorporates roaring
- High Praises, His Presence & Roaring
- Power in Praise: How the Spiritual Dynamic of Praise Revolutionizes Lives - Kindle