Obviously, God can speak to us through any means He wants: a donkey (Num. 22:28), a storm (Jonah 1:1-12), the counsel of friends (Prov. 11:14), the stars in the sky (Matt. 2:2), dreams (Matt. 2:13), angels (Rev. 22:6), divine coincidences (Esther 6:1-10), plagues (Gen. 12:17), gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 12:1-11), and illumined Scripture (Lk. 24:13-32) are just a few of the countless ways God reveals Himself. One morning in 1979 God woke me up with a booming base voice and said, "Get up, I am going to teach you to hear My voice."
The four simple keys God revealed to me (which are easy enough for a child to do)
That morning He showed me four simple keys from Habakkuk 2:1,2: 1) quiet yourself down, 2) look for vision, 3) tune to flow, 4) write out the flow of thoughts and pictures that come to you. Then test it by making sure it lines up with Scripture and that your spiritual advisor can say, "my heart bears witness this came from the Lord." So the million-dollar sentence is: "Hearing God's voice is as simple as quieting yourself down, fixing your eyes on Jesus, tuning to spontaneity, and writing." These four keys have helped millions of people worldwide easily hear God's voice as part of their daily walk in the Spirit (Gal. 5:25). Most people who try them see that they work, and turn around and teach them to their friends.
I love these four keys because they are easily transferable and anyone you share them with can easily hear God's voice daily.
People utilize these four keys, even if they haven't precisely defined them
People use these four keys even if they have not defined them as succinctly as the Lord did for me in the above paragraph. Can you hear the various four keys being expressed in the statements below?
- Albert Einstein - "I think 99 times and find nothing. I stop thinking, swim in silence and the truth comes to me." (Stillness and flowing thoughts.) And of course, Einstein wrote down his revelations in formulas (journaling).
- Albert Einstein - "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." (Still own thoughts, and vision.)
- Albert Einstein - "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come close to the conclusion that the gift of imagination has meant more to me than any talent for absorbing absolute knowledge. All great achievements of science must start from intuitive knowledge. I believe in intuition and inspiration... At times I feel certain I am right while not knowing the reason." (Flow, vision, and he proved things by journaling out equations.)
- Cynthia Petion - "I was brushing my teach and the thought came to me to start a company." (Mind is still and flowing thoughts lit upon her mind.) Cynthia wrote out the plan (journaling) and has a thriving company which I am blessed to be a part of!
- Attorney Jeff Childers - Start at minute 13 - "On a bike ride, I had a bonified religious experience with a vision. I started to become more in tune with suggestions that I felt were coming from a divine source. They were ideas that would have never occurred to me naturally." (Bike ride - mind was still, vision, flowing ideas.) The result was Jeff stepped into world fame by writing Coffee and Covid, (available free). It is an informative, humorous, and insightful view of the crazy worldwide events we face daily.
- Thomas Edison - Edison is said to have napped while holding a ball in each hand, presuming that, as he fell asleep, the orbs would fall to the floor and wake him. This way he could remember the sorts of thoughts that come to us as we are nodding off, which we often do not recall. (Stillness, flow.) And he wrote these down in 3500 notebooks of journaling.
- Nikola Tesla - "The solution came in a vision...the idea came in a flash..." He drew a diagram. (Vision, flow, journaling.)
- Jonas Salk was a doctor who found the cure for polio - “The way I like to put it is that I might have an intuition about something; I send it over to the reason department. Then after I've checked it out in the reason department, I send it back to the intuition department to make sure that it's still all right. For myself, that's how my mind works, and that's how I work. That's why I think that there is both an art and a science to what we do. The art of science is as important as so-called technical science. You need both. It's this combination that must be recognized and acknowledged and valued." (Flow, which he ended up proving as effective with journaled-out formulas.)
- Charity Kayembe on dream interpretation - "We match up the dream’s action and emotion with similar actions and emotions in our waking world, which show us what area of our life the dream is speaking to, and we journal out God’s message to us through the dream. (In a quiet meditative state gaze at the images in the dream and the pictures of one's current life and ask God to provide the interpretation. Tune to flow and journal out the dream and the interpretation.)
- Ten Bible characters - used these four keys and wrote over half the Bible.
If we can state simply how to hear from God, one can receive revelation from the Wonderful Counselor easily and daily. That is my passion. That is my goal. Rather than telling a person, you need to be riding a bike or brushing your teeth, I tell them you need to still your own thoughts, which of course is what generally happens when riding a bike or brushing your teeth. But we are getting down to the core action that is the common denominator in these various experiences - stillness, which is one of the four keys. And if a person uses all four keys, intentionally, as a bundle, they WILL be able to easily hear God's voice, and teach others to do the same!
Goal: Release God's creativity, wisdom, revelation and healing through the Church bringing transformation to people and to the world. Let's keep it simple and reproducible so everyone can easily lead their friends into a two-way dialogue relationship with Almighty God.
Related Resources:How to Hear God's Voice!