The Situation: My mind does what it wants, when it wants, the way it wants. I listen to the news and my mind decides if I should be depressed, cynical or joyful. I build theology with my mind. I test my heart's impressions with my mind. How else would one live? This is what the Bible teaches, right? We're supposed to test all things and hold fast to what is good, aren’t we?
Albert Einstein Didn’t Agree. He said...
- “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
- “I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking.”
- “Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles the world.”
The Bible says that the issues of life flow from the heart (Prov. 4:23), and that discernment is a manifestation of the Spirit (1 Cor. 12:10), rather than a mental process. The Bible actually endorses meditation (Josh. 1:8) rather than western “study.” After worshipping the “false god” of rationalism for years, I have now completely dethroned it.
The weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Cor. 10:4-5).
Rules Which My Mind Must Obey!
- Reason is ONLY allowed when in God's Presence (Ps. 73)
- God’s revelation is more trustworthy than my reasoning (Prov. 3:5,6)
- Embrace thoughts which are pure, peaceable, gentle and reasonable (James 3:17)
- Refuse thoughts which produce jealousy, selfishness or pride (James 3:14,15)
- Dwell on things which are lovely just, pure and of good report (Phil. 4:8)
- Think on things which produce joy, laughter and peace (Rom. 14:17; Prov. 17:22)
- Only reason when His Spirit is guiding the reasoning process (Isa. 1:18)
These rules clean up so much in my life. They limit how much “news” I listen to, and how I respond to that news. They keep me from getting depressed, proud, distressed or sick. Since so much of my sickness is caused by lack of a merry heart (Prov. 17:22) these rules promote astounding physical, emotional and spiritual health. These rules are amazing!
Go Deeper - Get Healthy!
Check out this entire blog series on Vibrant Health! - Miracles PLUS Gifts of Healings. Working through this series on health is ideal for both individuals and groups. The more we take responsibility for ourselves - spirit, soul and body - the healthier we become! Won't you join me in living to at least 100 in vibrant health?
For Further Discovery
- Study vs. Meditation
- 7 Step Meditation Process
- Biblical Meditation Involves Imagination
- How to Receive Revelation Knowledge
- When Reason Challenges Faith What Am I to Do?
- How to Hear God’s Voice