"That person is a pain in the neck." I have seen the pain of a stiff neck and shoulder immediately released when the person I was counseling forgave another who was "a pain in their neck." The book Molecules of Emotion by Dr. Candance Pert lays out scientific evidence that emotions are stored in our cells.
Clearing Cellular Memories MP3/Video Download Set - This contains 23 minutes of Mark Virkler explaining in detail the steps below, and how he has used them successfully to bring great healing to his life. Available here, downloads received within 24 business hours.
There is plenty of pain to be stored. In addition to the ongoing pains of experiencing rejection, losing a job, etc., research has shown that one in five Americans was sexually molested as a child; and one in three couples engages in physical violence. A quarter of us grew up with alcoholic relatives (Van der Kolk MD, Bessel. The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, p. 1).
Discover how you can easily turn your daily devotional times into amazing healing encounters with the Wonderful Counselor, allowing Him to pinpoint and remove emotional and physical trauma and restore health to your whole being. We make available below a downloadable simple coaching worksheet for clearing cellular memories. I used it for three weeks and its Spirit-led prayers allowed me to release over 60 years of stored cellular traumas. Stress left my body, a several-year skin irritation went away, and my night-time sleep improved. I am continuing this exciting process until I abide in the true, Spirit-born Kingdom realities of peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Rom. 14:17) displacing satan's fear, insecurity, anger, judgment and accusation.
- Catching a Murderer
- My Health Improved
- Defining Our Terms
- Eight Simple Steps
- Steps Four Through Eight
- Go the Extra Mile
- Generational Memories
- Five Take-Aways
- Satan’s Top Four Lies
- Inspiring Testimonies
Memories are stored in our cells: In the case described here, the heart transplant recipient acquired the memories from the murdered donor, providing police with enough leads to arrest the one who murdered the heart donor. People receiving a heart transplant simultaneously take on the likes and dislikes of the donor’s heart. Wow!
Emotional trauma leads to 90% of our health issues. Emotional trauma causes stress on our bodies. "The classic definition of stress is 'any real or imagined threat, and your body’s response to it.' Your body’s natural stress response can have a significant impact on your immune function, brain chemistry, blood sugar levels, hormonal balance, and much more." (Dr. Mercola, "Imaging Technology Finally Reveals How Emotions Manifest in Your Body")
The US National Library of Medicine hosts this article on stress which indicates up to 90% of illnesses are stress related. Quotes from the article include: "It is estimated that 80% to 90% of all industrial accidents are related to personal problem and employees’ inability to handle stress (6)." "The European Agency for Safety and Health at work reported that about 50% of job absenteeism is caused by stress (7)…." "The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention of the United States estimates that stress account about 75% of all doctors visit (7)…" "According to Occupational Health and Safety news and the National Council on compensation of insurance, up to 90% of all visits to primary care physicians are for stress-related complaints."
If stress wreaks that much havoc, imagine the overwhelming cumulative health effect of all our emotional issues! This prayer workshop is designed to help us receive Jesus’ healing touch to release such memories.
How to discover a stuck memory: One great way to discover a root cause to an infirmity is to ask, "Lord, what happened in my life just before this infirmity began?" The thought which immediately lights upon your mind is a word of knowledge and will reveal a stored cellular trauma which needs to be processed in prayer. Another great way to discover a stuck memory is to notice when you have a negative reaction that is way out of proportion to the stimulus that triggered it.
I was not as healed as I had hoped: My stimulus to create this worksheet came from my decision to FULLY process the emotional traumas in my life which were stressing my adrenal gland (the fight/flight response). My naturopath had been telling me for years that my adrenal gland was stressed, and I adamantly told her “no,” because I had learned to abide in Christ. Well, finally another naturopath told me a skin irritation which kept coming back was the result of a stressed out adrenal gland. So I decided it was time to get to the root of this and resolve it now, at the tender young age of 63, a good dozen years after first being informed of the problem. You don’t need to be foolish and wait 12 years to process your issues. Be wise. Choose to get your release NOW.
My real stressors were stored cellular memories: I FINALLY realized that the stress in my adrenals was not necessarily coming from my current life, as I had now learned to abide in Christ. It was more likely that this was stored stress in the memory of the cells of my adrenal gland from past issues in my life, and perhaps even stresses that had been passed down through my family line. This was a big "WOW" moment for me and gave me understanding of a whole new way to pray for healing! Do our genes ‘remember’ pain? Scientists suspect they might.
Modern medicine tends to have a mechanical view of the body, considering each organ and gland and system as stand-alone components that can function fairly independently of each other and the emotional state of the host body. However, alternative, naturopathic doctors look to the more traditional, ancient understandings of Greek and Chinese medicine which saw the internal organs as being strongly affected by the emotions, with specific emotions especially affecting specific organs. I embrace this more holistic understanding of the body. Such a view makes the abiding realities of faith, hope and love take on a whole new significance, doesn't it (I Cor. 13:13)?
Your own healing encounters: Since this prayer approach can be freely done by yourself at home and I can guarantee that you will benefit from it emotionally, spiritually and physically, it is highly recommended that you complete this as part of a spiritual retreat (or daily devotions for a few weeks). Why live with stuff you don't need to life with? No wonder satan continuously wants us to put off this healing process until a later date! There is so much of value in it for us. So satan, be gone!
- Miracles and gifts of healings: The Bible says, "God has appointed in the Church miracles, then gifts of healings" (1 Cor. 12:28). This blog is an example of what God calls "gifts of healings." I always seek a miracle first and if that doesn't occur, I explore His "gifts of healings." I am not going to turn down anything He has offered me. I have seen far too many suffer with infirmity because they wanted a miracle and did not get it, and would not pursue His gifts of healings.
- No self effort allowed - only prayer guided by the Spirit (Eph. 6:18): Rather than digging around on my own, I will receive words of knowledge as Jesus speaks and shows me things (Jn. 6:63; Ps.139:23,24;32:5).
- Words of knowledge and words of wisdom are received by you through:
- Jesus’ healing touch – spontaneous, flowing energy and release which you feel in your body.
- Inner healing – inviting Jesus into the scene where the trauma occurred, seeing what He is doing, hearing what He is saying, feeling His touch, and saying "Yes" to His revelation.
- Two-way journaling – recording your encounter and dialogue with Jesus on paper or an electronic device.
- Roaring - Roaring at the enemy is one way of defeating him, so if you feel led to roar, then roar and get the enemy off your back.
- A healed hurt - A hurt is healed when you can see the gift God has produced in your life through it (Rom. 8:28).
- Tapping - some may add tapping to facilitate the flow of revelation of root causes, as well as the release of locked up emotions and cellular tension.
- I enter His rest - I put on some very soft soaking music to quiet my spirit before Him.
- I ask Jesus what needs healing - "Lord, what needs healing in my life today? What stressed body organ or infirmity or abnormal emotional response needs to be dealt with?"
- I receive words of knowledge - "Holy Spirit, please bring to my attention any event(s) which occurred at the inception of this physical, emotional or spiritual infirmity in my life or which added to it later on." I tune to flow and make a list of one line titles for each of the various events which light upon my mind. These are words of wisdom and words of knowledge revealing a root experience which will need to be resolved so the infirmity can be healed. A spouse or close friend can assist me in recalling traumatic events which need healing. After this list is created, we then apply steps 4-8 to each event on this list. Use the downloadable sheet in the next section to make this easy.
- I invite Jesus into the scene - "Jesus, remind me of what was I feeling and where You are in this scene. What are You speaking, doing, and asking me to do?" I follow His instructions by repenting, forgiving, releasing, honoring and blessing the individuals (including myself and the event itself). John Arnott tells of asking a woman to forgive her horse for falling on her and crushing her hip. As soon as she forgave the horse, her hip pain vanished! Record what the Lord speaks and does and what happens.
- Cellular emotional trauma is released by Jesus - "Jesus, please remove the memory of this trauma which is stored in my (state specific body part)." Pause, watch, look, listen and feel as Jesus ministers healing grace. Conclude with a couple of deep breaths.
- Demonic entanglements are renounced in Jesus' name - "I renounce and break off all demons, in the name of Jesus, which were attached to these events." I pause, watch, look, listen and feel as Jesus ministers deliverance to me. Breathe out a couple of times forcefully and feel the release. Record what demons are rebuked and what you sense and see happening. The names of the demons will light upon your mind as spontaneous flowing thoughts, and generally correspond with what they are causing: anger, hatred, fear, inferiority, condemnation, shame, infirmity, arthritis, etc.
- Physical healing is received through Jesus - "Lord Jesus, would You shine Your light upon (name body part)?" Watch Jesus touch, heal and restore the damaged body part. Then thank Him: “Thank You, Jesus, for Your healing, restorative touch. I receive it with gratefulness." Record what transpires.
- Divine gifts are revealed by Jesus - "Lord, what is the gift You have produced in my life through this trauma/event?” Record what this gift is and see and speak ONLY of this gift from now on!
Apply steps 4 - 8 to each event/item on the list you created in step three above.
- Now you process each of these events in a relaxed prayer time, performing all 5 steps for each trauma on your list. Download and use this free worksheet.
- Reviewing them a second time allows God the opportunity to deepen and enlarge His healing presence in each one. Download a completed worksheet here.
Seeing the gifts God has produced in your life through these traumas (Rom. 8:28) is the final step. Below are a couple of these gifts which God revealed to me from the traumas of my life.
- I am perfectly molded and positioned to fulfill God's destiny for my life.
- God used separation to bring me into my own, to function in the role He has called me to.
Receive MORE revelation: Apply the above healing process to the various stages of your life: In the womb, ages 1-5, elementary school, middle school, high school, college, marriage, after marriage. Ask: "Holy Spirit, reveal traumas from my life during (state each specific period)." Jot down one line titles for each scene which lights upon your mind. For me, this resulted in a list of another 21 traumatic events.
No thinking allowed. You are to stay tuned to the flow of the Holy Spirit (Jn. 7:37-39), allowing HIM to reveal what needs healing rather than digging around using self-effort (Jn. 6:63).
Process your list of events by applying the prayer worksheet which covers steps 4-8 to each event. I processed two scenes per day during my daily devotional time, covering all 21 traumas in 11 days.
How about a second opinion? The day after completing praying through the 32 traumas (11 from my first list and 21 from the second list) which my journaling had said had been producing stress on my adrenal gland I had the opportunity to experience a Spectravision Body Scan from Rocky Steinert, a Doctor of Nutrition, who was attending my weekend seminar on Hearing God’s Voice, and the computerized results said adrenal stress was down below any critical stage! By the way, Rocky can provide this service to you from a distance as the scanner can read your body's condition from a picture you send him.
Confirmation: I checked back with Kurt Green, and his forms of guidance told him that 90% of my adrenal stress was gone, and the remaining stress was a few memories still stuck in my cells.
So I checked with God and removed two more traumas and deepened one which I had prayed through earlier and hadn't stuck (I needed to look more steadfastly at the Scriptures and revelation which declared God's perspective, so I fully FELT God's emotions for the situation - this then produced full healing of that partially healed trauma). The healing I needed to deepen was when God told me He had allowed me to get caught by a policeman in my youth doing something I shouldn't have been doing. God said He was the one who brings calamity (Isa. 45:7)! Well, I kind of accepted that but did not FEEL it emotionally. So to deepen it, I went back to Isaiah 45 and read and meditated on the entire chapter, picturing it and praying over it and FEELING it. Download my meditation on Isa. 45 here.
How to deepen a revelation: Fully gain God's perspective by meditating on relevant Scriptures, asking God to explain them so your heart burns with revelation (Lk.24:32). If you don't clearly see God's perspective, which results in fully feeling His emotions (i.e. emotions are by-products of pictures), the hurt is not yet fully healed.
Emotion provides the stimulus for action. You need a significant emotional impetus to move you to the action of interrupting your current 65,000 thousand thoughts a day, of which 90% are automatic, and intersecting them with God's new thought processes which you hear, see, feel and speak. If this does not happen, you will not be healed!
Emotions can be created by pictures God gives you in your night time dreams so pay attention to your dreams, journal them out and receive God's guidance and empowerment through them. Your body and brain don’t know if you’re experiencing something in waking life or dream life; it reacts to both experiences the same way (e.g., your heart races if you have a scary dream). And if you hold a picture in your imagination of God's completed promise to you, as I'm sure the Father of Faith did (Gen. 15:5,6 - thousands of stars representing thousands of descendants), that picture, too, can create the emotional stimulus to move you to action.
Ongoing revelation: I would go to sleep asking God to reveal any additional scenes which left trauma in my body. I would awaken each morning with one or two more, so the process continued until finally I awoke with no more scenes on my mind.
Healed!: This healing of my adrenal gland allowed me to begin sleeping eight hours every night, rather than six or seven, something I knew was healthy but not been able to do for MANY years. And YES, the skin irritation completely disappeared over the three weeks it took me to process these 35 traumas.
The rest of the story: During these three weeks I doubled my daily nutrition, and took Milk Thistle (to strengthen my liver), and added a few additional items my naturopath had recommended. I was truly ready to resolve this issue and do whatever was necessary.
Kurt Green, my naturopath stated: "I have personally found 30% of the events that I needed to release were ancestral." Exodus 20:4-6 speaks of things being passed down through the generations as does this study of Holocaust survivors which finds trauma is passed on to children's genes.
The prayer to remove generational sins and curses: Relax and take your time, see what you are praying, feel it, tune to flow, allowing the Holy Spirit the opportunity to move within the prayer so it is more than rote words. You will pray this for your father’s side of the family first, and then come back and pray it a second time for your mother’s side of the family.
Picture your father/mother and pray this out loud: “I choose to forgive my father/mother and his/her ancestors for all generational sins and curses which flowed through him/her to me and are contributing to (state infirmity … e.g. ‘the stress in my adrenal gland’). I picture myself as a baby in my mother’s womb … I place the cross of Christ between my father/mother and that baby. I command all negative energy which is flowing from him/her to me and ‘stressing out my adrenal gland’ to halt at the Cross of Christ, and to fall to the ground powerless at the foot of the Cross (repeat this statement, while seeing the negative energy hitting the Cross of Christ and falling to the ground powerless).
I release that baby in the womb … you are set free, you are set free, you are set free. Those whom the Son sets free are free indeed. I lay my hand on the body part (i.e. adrenal gland). "(Speak name of body part), you are set free to function normally in Jesus' name. Function normally, in Jesus' name. Come to peace in Jesus' name. Be healed, in Jesus' name." (See and feel this new freedom.)
I speak the blessings of Calvary over that baby in the womb. "I bless you with health, with healing, with life… I thank You, Jesus, for Your healing power which is restoring my (name body part). I am healed, in Jesus' name! I am healed, in Jesus' name. I am healed, in Jesus' name." (Breathe in and out deeply a couple of times, feeling the full release and new life flowing within you.) "I thank You, Jesus, for Your healing touch."
Repetition: Since things are deepened through repetition, I would encourage you to pray the prayer twice for your father’s side of the family, and then twice for your mother’s side.
Get your release from generational garbage! I did! It is a simple prayer and it felt good. This release should also be effective for your children who have not yet reached the age of accountability.
- I am committed to wholeness - living in His presence which releases within me His love: I will take whatever time and effort is necessary to apply His healing presence to all emotional trauma as these produce 90% of all sickness. I am emotionally healed when I manifest the fruit (singular) of the indwelling Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23). This fruit is a REAL emotion from God's heart which we receive whenever we are in His presence (i.e. "abiding in Christ"). It is compassionate love, which heals our entire beings. It has nine expressions:
- Joy is love rejoicing
- Peace is love resting
- Patience is love enduring
- Kindness is love caring
- Goodness is love motivating
- Faithfulness (faith) is love trusting
- Gentleness is love esteeming others (see Phil. 1:3)
- Self-control is love restraining (power under control)
- I will use repetition to deepen the healing: I will review my journaling, asking God to deepen and expand what He has shown me. Since "tapping" is specifically designed to release trapped emotions, I may do some tapping as I repeat the traumatic scenes a second time.
- I will gaze only upon pictures of the GIFTS God has produced in my life through these traumas: Pictures are the language of the heart and the railroad tracks my life runs on.
- I will confess "I am healed": I will speak life over myself. "My body is healed and functioning normally, in Jesus' name." Phillip Goldfedder is eager to pray freely with you over the phone for miracles of physical healing and help you establish your new confession of divine health.
- I will restructure my thought processes: I will pull down strongholds (2 Cor. 10:4,5 - demonic, unbiblical thought processes) in my mind, and replace them with biblical thought processes which I arrive at by conducting Bible meditations on topics which are relevant to maintaining my new position of health. For example, to remove fear, I will look up verses on the opposite of fear, which is faith.
This will take too much time.
This makes your devotional times revelation-based healing encounters with Almighty God, releasing spiritual transformation and complete healing into your life. Could anything be better?
The prayer worksheet is too methodical for me. I’m free floating.
Farmers prepare for an outstanding crop by first completely tilling the soil, making sure they drag every inch and that every weed gets removed.
I started with my biggest scene and it is too traumatic. I’m stuck.
Start with something smaller and work your way up.
No one can be perfectly healthy.
Sure you can. Jesus purchased your health with His broken body on the cross (Isa. 53:5). Our goal is not just release of pain but vibrant health!
Some find an excuse as to why they can't. Others find a way as to how they can!
Question: Jesus, how can we go about dealing with the situations of false accusations that you have shown me all throughout my life so that I want to face them and not avoid this process?
Crystal, the Bible is filled with accounts of people who were falsely accused and who even falsely accused themselves. Noah was thought of as crazy for building a boat when they had never seen rain. Joseph was right, just and honoring and was falsely accused by his family and then Potiphar’s wife. He could not have been the man who was seduced by the woman? Sarah even falsely accused herself that she could not birth a child for Abraham in his old age. Hosea was accused of falsely hearing from God for marrying a prostitute. Mary was falsely accused by Joseph until the angel appeared and confirmed Mary’s word. John the Baptist could not have been the one preparing the way for me? Then, I come on the scene to be the light and love of the world to restore what has been lost to the Father and even I was accused of having a demon. But the thing is in every one of these stories, these people knew who they heard from and who they belonged to. They were not perfect or Sarah would have never given her Egyptian slave to Abraham but they knew they had heard from God and that their life belonged to God.
Remember the day you were holding Hezekiah at the school and you saw him watching and the concern that he had for everyone and you knew you had seen the love of God. Remember the next morning when I woke you up and I said from birth you were like Hezekiah and that you had such a pure love and concern for other people but they falsely accused you. The world has become so messed up, hurt, deceived and lost that when they see the real thing they cannot even believe that it could be truly the real thing. Crystal, you were, are and will always be the real thing. You need to go back to these scenes as they come to you, I will show you your heart, what happened and we can walk thought forgiveness together.
Like the scene that often comes to mind, when you were in grade 1 or 2 and the child sitting beside you in the circle was troubled and you wanted to offer words of encouragement. The teacher falsely accused you of not paying attention and made you stand in the corner with that stupid hat on. Humiliated in front of your friends and the teacher and everyone believing that you were not paying attention. You were not paying attention to the teacher but the cry of that child’s heart caught your heart and you wanted them to know that it would be ok.
Forgive yourself for doing something else while the authority figure was teaching. Forgive the teacher for falsely accusing you of fooling around and not even asking you the situation or hearing your heart. Forgive the children who ridiculed you and judged you because they could not even begin to understand being about the Father’s business or telling the truth about helping someone. Forgive me, Crystal, because I was there. I was standing in the corner with you holding your hand because as they hurt you, I hurt the same way but I knew the truth and that is what mattered. I understood and I knew and I was proud of you because nobody else would have let that child feel my love that day but through you they knew and it is what mattered. That child was the one I needed to reach that day and you allowed me to use you for that. Thank you for hearing the heart of those around you and for being willing to extend the pure love of God to them.
Question back to Jesus: Jesus, you have shown me the scene in grade 1 or 2 of being falsely accused by the teacher, now Jesus can you show me what effect that had either on a stressed body organ, infirmity or abnormal emotional response that needs heeling in me because of this event?
Crystal, when you went from sitting in that circle to the corner where the teacher made you stand, you made the first decision that figures of authority did not have your best interest in mind. You also decided that you would start closing your heart off to people who accused you and this is what creates abnormal emotional response as it cuts you off instead of creating relationships and I especially designed you for relationships. Without it, you are miserable. Satan saw that day and how one accusation at a time, he could close you off from relationship as he knew that you had no one who was teaching you my ways of forgiveness and keeping connection.
Jesus, as we saw in the scene, I felt humiliated in front of my friends.
Crystal, you felt like you were being called a liar and that you were insensitive. You felt ridiculed by your friends. You felt like you failed for nothing. You felt like you let the authority figure down. Crystal, as I said in the scene before, forgive yourself because although the teacher was in authority in her class, I am the ultimate authority over you. You were just a child and nobody is perfect but you were about your Father’s business. Crystal, do you remember when they took me, Jesus, to the temple for the first time? Mary and Joseph started their journey home and realized I was not with them because I had stayed in the temple because I was about my Father’s business. The Father’s business was more important. Sure, Mary and Joseph were in authority and upset with me but it never bothered me because I knew my heavenly Father’s business was more important and my first goal was to please my heavenly Father. I knew you were about my Father’s business.
There are going to be times when you cannot please earthy people and the heavenly Father at the same time but when you have that etched in your heart and know pleasing the Father is the best thing you would ever do with your life, these events won’t affect you. When that takes root, pleasing all other people and their opinion of you won’t have any effect on you. Forgive the teacher as she had no clue about who I am or what my heart is nor did have any clue about how to talk to a child or reach your heart. Forgive the children, Crystal, as they did not know me and they knew you were different but just could not understand. As I said before, forgive me, as I truly was the only one in the room that day who knew what was going on. You have dealt with some of the first hurts in the womb now and at birth and before school but that day you just could not believe me when I said “just let it go and keep on loving” because the hurts had already started to build but now you know I was your fan section and I was a Daddy who was pleased with your loving heart for others.
Jesus, please take the trauma that is stored in my heart, abnormal emotions and my liver. I release this trauma to you, Jesus, from all these areas. I then have a picture of my heart inside a box and my heart grew bigger. Then I felt Jesus saying to me, “Keep walking through these accusations with me and your heart will burst right out of that box." For my liver I had a picture of fire crackers going off inside me for these emotions. Jesus then says, “Each event made more fire crackers and the explosion bigger.” Now as Jesus is healing the trauma, I see some fire crackers disintegrating like dust to the ground never to be active again.
I break off all demons of: (wait and hear) accusations, disappointment, grief, unbelief, anger, resentment, separation, rebellion, hurt, coldness, and people pleasing.
Jesus, what gift do you want to give me from this event?
The gift I give you, Crystal, is the ability to hear and see other people’s good and pure heart even when they cannot see it for themselves.
I was not familiar with tapping. I used it on working with my 4th trauma. It definitely made a difference. I felt healing as I worked through the steps and Jesus gave me a new perspective on the situation, which involved my mother.
As I worked through the stages of life, He showed me my mother and He showed me her deep heart ache of quiet desperation. He laid out the many years of quiet desperation that she has suffered. She will be 91 in 3 weeks. Mark, Jesus opened my heart to see her in a way I never have before. He showed me her incredible beauty, talent and love. He showed me so many blessings she has given me. Even through the mental health issues, she was amazing. She had her first set of shock treatments when I was 10.
I now have an appreciation for her that fills my heart with love and awe for her. I am deeply grateful that Father selected her to be my mother. Thank You, Father, for my mother! Father is healing my heart toward my dad, too. I am deeply grateful.
Healing is very hard and it takes a lot of courage, but man oh man, is it worth it! Healing is truly an incredible gift of our loving Father! He is so amazing! I am deeply humbled with being so blessed!
Resting in Father's embrace - Linda
Mark, I have worked a little bit more with healing the cells of my body. Jesus brought up another memory that I thought I had completely addressed. As I went through prayer steps 4-8 which you outlined, there were very deep emotions that surfaced and then I felt a release and calm. Jesus gave me a new picture with Him in it. Something seemed to really be different. My health immediately improved. Infirmity I had been putting up with because I believed I needed to, vanished immediately. Jesus brought up a couple more situations and I will work with them as soon as I can. I can see that it takes Jesus showing us the emotions that the cells are holding onto. This has made a huge difference.
Note from Mark Virkler - Even if you feel you have processed a hurt already, if Jesus brings it up again, process it again, making sure you do all eight prayer steps listed above. Partial healing can occur by doing some of the steps. Full healing can occur using all of the steps.
At our EFT workshop I tapped with a pastor who was a counselor and who had also received a great deal of counseling herself. She never understood her weight issues and why she had them, but after a few minutes of tapping it "came up" that it started when she was a child, the year her parents got divorced.
She had tried to control her parent's relationship and help fix it, but couldn't. She then began gaining weight, another negative thing and also a cushion to separate and insulate her from the situation. She realized the connection in that she had felt helpless in controlling her eating and fixing her weight, in the same way she felt helpless about her parent's divorce.
She was amazed that the root underlying issue just "came to her" when years of talk therapy never touched it. It's like Isaac taking the Philistine's earth out of the wells (Gen 26:15). The rivers of living water are deep in the innermost being, and tapping lets them bubble up to the surface.