Everyone delegates. Delegation is one way we can reduce the stress in our lives. I am amazed at how effectively my son and daughter-in-law delegate jobs to their children and how well my grandchildren do these jobs. Through this my grandchildren are learning key life skills and being paid in the process.
Moses was experiencing burnout because he was the only one judging the Israelites when they had quarrels. Jethro, his father-in-law, taught him how to delegate. Read the story in Exodus 18:13-22.
The basics of delegation according to Jethro are as follows:
- Only do those things which others cannot do (18:19)
- Teach others key principles so they can perform properly (18:20)
- Select assistant-leaders who have excellent character (18:21)
- Grant them authority to do their jobs and the opportunity to come to you when stuck (18:22)
Know the levels of delegation
- Do as I say
- Research and report back to me
- Research and make recommendations to me
- Decide on best course and inform me
- Act independently
There is great value in delegating, overseeing and nurturing the gifts in others
Not only does it take a load of work off your shoulders, but you are also mentoring the next generation, and helping ensure their success by allowing them to work under your covering. Will they make mistakes? Of course they will, so just celebrate the mistake with them and point them in the right direction to succeed.
I have read that IBM funds "creaative developers," letting them follow their passions and pursuits and spend time "creating" on company time and even working from their homes at times. When something great gets created, IBM puts their finances and marketing skills behind the invention and shares the profits with the inventor. I love this approach!
This actually happened to me when I was working at Full Gospel Tabernacle, a large church of 3000 members. They gave me the freedom to develop curriculum which could be used by other church-centered Bible schools, and then they put their money and marketing skill behind this venture by placing ads in Charisma magazine and national conventions where this curriculum was presented. The end result was over 100 church-centered Bible schools, and an extra quarter of a million dollars coming into the church budget annually. Plus I was trained in how to create Bible school curriculum and now am president of Christian Leadership University with 15,000 students in 129 nations. So Full Gospel Tabernacle won, I won, and the Kingdom of God won. A triple win!
As we get older, it becomes our turn to apprentice
Now I realize it is my turn to raise up others, using the same process. Let them create, help promote them, and share in the profits. Ways we have done that is with bloggers, book writers, and curriculum developers. For example:
- Bill Dupley is publishing excellent blogs, and I was able to introduce him and get them published on Elijah List.
- Patty Sadallah has a passion for Spirit Life Circles, and we were able to help her develop and promote her concept worldwide.
- Charity Kayembe, my daughter, wrote a book on dreams, and we were able to get her introduced to Sid Roth and to Catch the Fire Toronto and provide a blogging platform and newsletter contacts of 40,000 homes.
- We have listed over 40 books by those we have taught how to hear God's voice who have included two-way journaling in their books.
- We have listed proven counselors and connected them with people seeking counsel.
- We have connected long-time journalers with those just starting out.
- We have helped over 100 churches create Bible Schools and Spirit Life training centers for their people.
It is a joy to see this come full circle. I was mentored and encouraged, financed and promoted, and now I get to do this for scores of others. I celebrate the ministry of the body of Christ as they minister God's grace one to another.
Personal Journaling Application
- Lord, who am I to be mentored by and in what area?
- Lord, who am I to mentor and in what area?
Cardiac Event Series
- How Could I Have Been So Wrong?
- Biblical Truths Related to Heart Disease
- Causes of Heart Disease: Inflammation, Oxidation, Sugar and Stress
- Drugs, Nutrition and the Lord
- Is Stress The Number One Cause Of Heart Attacks?
- Ever So SLOWLY Learning About Blood Pressure
- Common Denominators of Great Diets
- God Says I’m Healed Yet Symptoms Persist
- Symptoms Go into Remission as I Speak to My Body
- Does Heart Surgery Cause the Heart to Pick Up A Spirit of Fear
- Must I Work Hard To Be Successful?
- Which of The 10 Commandments Can You Break And No One Raises An Eyebrow?
- Experience Rest By Learning How To Delegate
- Living In Rest Requires Living At Peace With Myself and Others
- For Heaven’s Sake, Celebrate!
Related Resources:How to Enjoy Vibrant Health! Spiritual Transformations Unique Gifts Make Winning Teams!