Creative Prayer is the devotional style I have used most often over the last 35 years.
The key components of Creative Prayer are
Passion – Immersion – Revelation – Creativity
I am passionate to release God’s wisdom and creativity in area after area of my life. I have discovered the best way to prepare for His revelation is to immerse myself in Scriptures concerning the topic at hand and to read books by others who have pursued the topic. I experiment myself while using two-way journaling to ask God to show me the insights I need to master the experience.
I go to sleep pondering the things I am learning, and as I lie in bed, I ask the Holy Spirit to grant me insight and revelation as I sleep. I am aware that my spirit stays awake all night and works on whatever I ask it to (Song of Sol. 5:2).
When I wake up in the morning, I tune to flow and release the creative flow from my spirit. My heart downloads the revelation it received during the night. When the flow is done, my devotional time is over and I go on with other activities of the day, knowing I will repeat the same steps each day until full revelation, mastery, and true knowledge on the topic are mine. This creative time may include God helping me interpret dreams from the night or I may feel impressed to investigate Scripture in depth. It is all good. I follow the Spirit’s flow wherever it takes me.
I LOVE this experience as it allows me to receive life-transforming insights from my heavenly Father. I experience knowledge, wisdom and insight beyond my natural abilities, for God is revealing the secrets of the universe to my heart.
Many others have experienced God’s wonderful creative flow using this process
Larry Page, founder of Google, had a dream when he was a 22-year-old Stanford college student. In the dream, he was downloading the entire internet onto his home computer, and he was carefully examining the linkages which made this feat possible. He awoke, and spent a couple of hours writing down the connections he saw in his dream. He then spent the next year working this out and perfecting the links, and this became the algorithm for the first version of Google’s amazing search engine, which much of the world now uses. This has made Google the wealthiest company in the world today and Larry Page one of the wealthiest people.
Handel’s Messiah containing the Hallelujah Chorus was written in 1712. Handel tells that he heard the music of heaven as a flow within him, and spent 24 days feverishly writing the 259-page musical score which he concluded with this note, "To God alone the glory." He declared that "he saw all heaven before him." Handel was experiencing throne room worship, and put into musical score what he was seeing and hearing. Handel released the worship of heaven on earth, and the work still stands 300 years later.
George Washington Carver was a prominent American scientist and inventor in the early 1900s. Carver developed hundreds of products using the peanut, sweet potatoes and soybeans. He would awaken in the mornings with creative ideas of new projects and innovations. His inventions came from flow. Here are a few of Carver’s quotes:
Anything will give up its secrets if you love it enough.
- I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in.
- Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God.
- No books ever go into my laboratory. The thing I am to do and the way are revealed to me the moment I am inspired to create something new. Without God to draw aside the curtain, I would be helpless. Only alone can I draw close enough to God to discover His secrets.
The Periodic Table of Elements was received through a dream. Dmitri Mendeleev was obsessed with finding a logical way to organize the chemical elements. It had been preying on his mind for months. In 1869 he wrote the elements’ names on cards – one element on each card. He then wrote the properties of every element on its own card. He saw that atomic weight was important in some way, but he could not find a pattern. Convinced that he was close to discovering something significant, Mendeleev moved the cards about for many hours until finally he fell asleep at his desk. When he awoke, he found that his heart had done his work for him! He later wrote: “I saw in a dream a table where all the elements fell into place as required. Awakening, I immediately wrote it down on a piece of paper.” That chart, the Periodic Table, now hangs on the walls of science classrooms the world over.
The discovery of Insulin was received through a dream. Canadian physician, Frederick Banting had a dream that led to a breakthrough in diabetes research; the discovery of Insulin. “Awakening from a dream One night, he wrote down the following words: “Tie up the duct of the pancreas of a dog. Wait for a few weeks until the glands shrivel up. Then cut it out, wash it out and filter precipitation.” This procedure led him to discover “INSULIN.” “Healing beyond the body”- Larry Dossey, M.D.
Revelations I have received through this process of creative flow
Discovering how to hear God’s voice – I had focused intensely for months on seeking to discover how to hear God’s voice. Then, one morning, I was awakened by a loud voice, as God said, “Get up, I am going to teach to you hear My voice.” Over the next several hours, God showed me the four keys of hearing His voice from Habakkuk 2:1-2, which transformed my life and the lives of millions we have shared them with.
Discovering how to live naturally supernatural - I had spent months searching out every verse on being in Christ and having Christ in me. Finally the revelation was ready to spring forth. For three days I closed my eyes and typed from flow and the result was the book, Naturally Supernatural, which has set thousands free from the strivings of the flesh.
Each morning when I awaken, I tune to flow and receive words of love and encouragement from my Heavenly Father, as well as blogs or a section to a developing book. Our 50 books are examples of God’s creative flow at work in and through me.
An entrepreneur would be receiving ideas for creating wealth. An artist would receive artwork, a musician, music, etc.
How YOU can release divine creativity easily and daily
- Passion - God’s anointing rides on the waves of His love and passion (Matt. 14:14). No love, no anointing! Have a love and passion for the area that is before you to master. Choose to receive and release God’s love concerning the area. Be passionate to master this area by the grace of God! Defeat is not an option! You will not quit until He has shown you the keys.
- Immersion - Immerse yourself thoroughly in the topic, filling your heart and mind with data. Read, ponder, meditate and ask questions knowing that when you seek Him with all your heart you will find Him (Deut. 4:29; Jn. 16:24, Jas. 1:5).
- Revelation – Continually ask God for revelation and insight. Posture your heart for revelation as you drift off to sleep by asking God the question you are seeking to resolve. Make sure your heart is clear and ready to receive by processing any negative emotions before drifting off to sleep. You prefer not making your heart spend dream time guiding you out of an emotional pit, but rather, to work on releasing new creative revelations for you. See “Evening Thanksgiving Prayer.”
- Creativity - When you awaken, tune to flow and release, downloading from your spirit the insights it has gleaned during the night. Sometimes I have soft soaking music on, and sometimes I don’t. Don’t go to emails, or busy work, but instead use this valuable time to release divine creativity. I often revise several times, always staying tuned to flow, until my heart feels the music, and a deep inner knowing says "we got it!"
God will grant you revelatory gifts which bless you and humanity. Release His creativity!