The Bible emphatically declares that we experience life when we live out of the wisdom and power of the Holy Spirit and we are cursed if we trust in our own strength.
"It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words (rhemas) that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life (Jn. 6:63).
Thus says the LORD, "Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind and makes flesh his strength, and whose heart turns away from the LORD (Jer. 17:5).
These verses really make me passionate to fully understand and embrace His power!
We know it is the release of God’s power that brings healing and deliverance. We want to understand this power as well as we possibly can. Our passionate question is: “What does the release of God’s divine energy (energeo) feel like, and what does it accomplish?” We want to gain an understanding of how God uses the word energeo. Below are listed every time energeo, or the various forms of this word, appears in the Bible. Click here to download a printable version of the file, “All Uses of Energeo”
The Greek Words Researched
- G1754 ενεργεω Energeo Total KJV Occurrences: 25
- G1756 ενεργης energes Total KJV Occurrences: 3
- G1755 ενεργημα energema Total KJV Occurrences: 2
- G1753 ενεργεια energeia Total KJV Occurrences: 10
We have put our comments in blue below each verse. We have also inserted the word “energizes” into every verse where energeo (or its forms) were used, just to see how the verse would read with this key basic definition inserted. You may ponder this as you read and see how you feel the word “energizes” describes the meaning of “energeo” within each of the verses below.
A summary of energeo is available here. The summary also contains precise Greek Dictionary definitions of energeo. Kittle’s Theological Dictionary of the New Testament defines “energeo” as “active energy” which, I agree, is what it feels like inside of me, so this is my favorite definition.
A Listing of Energeo and Its Various Forms
- "This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers (dunamis) are at work (energizing) in him." (Matt. 14:2 NASB)
- Miracles are the outworking of the energizing of the Holy Spirit
- And King Herod heard of it, for His name had become well known; and people were saying, "John the Baptist has risen from the dead, and that is why these miraculous powers (dunamis) are at work (energizing) in Him." (Mk. 6:14 NASB)
- The power of God (dunamis) when flowing as active energy (energeo) can cast out demons, and heal the sick (see Mk. 6:13).
- For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work (energizing) in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. (Rom. 7:5 NASB)
- Sinful passions can energize us producing sinful actions, leading us to death. So if this energy is spirit energy, it can flow from the Holy Spirit, or my corrupted spirit, and as we will see in Ephesians 2:2 listed below, from demon spirits also. Perhaps energes means “active spirit energy,” regardless of the source.
- There are varieties of effects, (energizes) but the same God who works (energizes) all things in all persons. (1 Cor. 12:6 NASB)
- God’s energizing underlies all. Your passions, desires and giftings come from the Lord. The word “effects” in the above verse is another form of the word energeo. So the Spirit’s energizing from within produces different results in each of us. An interesting side note:Gifts come from the Holy Spirit (1 Cor.12:4), Ministries are from the Lord Jesus (1 Cor. 12:5), Energizing comes from the Father (1 Cor. 12:6). So God is the author of all energizings, and the Holy Spirit administers various specific gifts to individuals, and Jesus forms these gifts into ministries within the Church and to the world. Neat!
- To another the effecting (energizing) of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. (1Cor. 12:10 NASB)
- The energizing by the Spirit produces miracles. So as I minister God’s grace for miracles, I need to honor the Holy Spirit by inviting Him, His presence and His power to be manifest and flowing, and then be sensitive to His flow of energy by noting such things as tingling or warmth in my hands, and pictures of light flowing into a person driving out darkness, etc.
- But one and the same Spirit works (energizes) all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills. (1 Cor. 12:11 NASB)
- The energy of the Holy Spirit is what distributes the manifestation of the Holy Spirit to each Christian. So we EACH have divine in-working energizings which we should honor and follow. In doing so, your life is fulfilling and prosperous. Copying someone else’s giftings will not produce joy, peace, contentment or effective ministry. Follow the leadings, giftings and passions of YOUR Heart. They are placed there by the Holy Spirit.
- A wide door for effective (energizing) service has opened to me, and there are many adversaries. (1Cor. 16:9 NASB)
- It is the energy of God which makes our ministry and service to others effective. So ask God to open doors. Know there will be obstacles and opposition, but that is all part of the process. Draw upon the strength of the Lord, not your own abilities, as you serve.
- If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective (energizing) in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer. (2 Cor. 1:6 NASB)
- Our testimony and demonstration of the overcoming power of Christ’s life within us during our trying times can inspire others to draw upon God’s divine energy within when they face similar trials.
- For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death works (energizes) in us, but life in you. (2 Cor. 4:11-12 NASB)
- When death is energizing us, we draw upon God’s Zoe life, and our testimony of His saving grace brings life to the hearer as we share our testimony. Our lives and our testimonies contain life for others. So stand tall and strong in the strength of the Lord, knowing others are being blessed as they watch you. Know your shared testimony is to glorify God and thus strengthen others.
- But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised (for He who effectually (energized) worked for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised effectually (energized) worked for me also to the Gentiles), (Gal. 2:7-8 NASB)
- Energeo occurs twice in this verse. Peter was energized by God to be an apostle to the Jews. Paul was energized by God to be an Apostle to the Gentiles. We each have specific energizing (passions, anointings and gifts) by God for specific callings. Honor them. Don’t mimic others’ lives.
- So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works (energizes) miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? (Gal. 3:5 NASB)
- The energizing release of power for a miracle is not a result of me doing enough stuff right (keeping enough rules) but a hearing of God’s rhema word, coupled with faith to step forth and minister healing. Abraham, the Father of Faith, heard God’s rhema word and saw God’s promised fulfilled in a vision and it resulted in faith erupting in his heart (Gen. 12:1-3; 15:5,6).
- For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working (energized) through love. (Gal. 5:6 NASB)
- Faith is energized by love/compassion, and vice versa, love energizes faith. Jesus, moved by compassion, healed (Matt. 14:14). Faith and love are two of God’s abiding realities (1 Cor. 13:13). There probably will not be a healing ministry if compassion is not present.
- Also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works (energizes) all things after the counsel of His will. (Eph. 1:11 NASB)
- God’s energy causes all things to be worked together for good. That is why we can live in faith, hope and love (1 Cor. 13:13).
- And what is the surpassing greatness of His power (dunamis) toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about (energized) in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places. (Eph. 1:19-20 NASB)
- God energized Jesus, bringing Him forth from the dead. We, too, can raise the dead as this power (dunamis) of God is available to believers and manifests as a release of spiritual energy (energes).
- In which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power (exusia) of the air, of the spirit that is now working (energizes) in the sons of disobedience. (Eph. 2:2 NASB)
- Satan, (through his demons) energizes non-Christians from within.
- Of which I was made a minister, according to the gift of God's grace which was given to me according to the working (energizing) of His power (dunamis). (Eph. 3:7 NASB)
- God’s dunamis is released as active energy which creates the gift of grace through which we minister to others. So note your gifts, callings and passions and follow them.
- Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power (dunamis) that works (energizes) within us, (Eph. 3:20 NASB)
- The power (dunamis) of the Holy Spirit is energizing (energeo) us from within and allows us to do things beyond our wildest imaginations, such as, miracles, healings and even raising the dead. These things are from God!
- From whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working (energizing) of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love. (Eph. 4:16 NASB)
- When we operate in the divine gifts God has placed within each of us, and we serve one another with these gifts, we build up and energize the body of Christ. So find your place and fill it.
- For it is God who is at work (energizes) in you, both to will and to work (energizes) for His good pleasure. (Phil. 2:13 NASB)
- God is energizing us from within to accomplish His good pleasure.
- Who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion (energizing) of the power (dunamis) that He has even to subject all things to Himself. (Phil. 3:21 NASB)
- God’s active energy and power is so great that He is able to subdue all things to Himself.
- I also labor, striving according to his working (energia - energizing), which worketh (energeo - energizes) in me mightily (dunamis). (Col. 1:29 KJV)
- This verse contains two forms of energeo plus dunamis and it was easiest to see these using the King James Version of the Bible. As I labor, I choose to draw upon the inner energizing of the Holy Spirit, whose power is working within me. So it is all about calling upon, sensing and releasing the in-working energy of the Holy Spirit.
- Having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working (energizing) of God, who raised Him from the dead. (Col. 2:12 NASB)
- Faith in the energizing power of God’s Spirit provides the divine energy to raise the dead, and provides a quickening in our hearts and lives as we go through water baptism in faith that a transformation is taking place.
- For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work (energizes) in you who believe. (1 Thess. 2:13 NASB)
- The word of God has God’s energy to change us from within if we believe it. Anointed preaching can energize and transform those that believe.
- For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work (energize); only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. (2 Thess. 2:7 NASB)
- Demons can energize under the limitations of Almighty God, and although they may have times of expanded activity, they will be consumed ultimately by the power of God at the end of the age.
- That is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity (energizing) of Satan, with all power (dunamis) and signs and false wonders, (2 Thess. 2:9 NASB)
- Satan has energizing power (under God and with the limitations God places on him).
- For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence (energizing) so that they will believe what is false. (2 Thess. 2:11 NASB)
- If you want to be deceived, God with energize you with a strong delusion. Note: it is those who received a love for the truth who are saved (2 Thess. 2:10). Logic and reasoning will not work with one under a spirit of delusion. Prayer, and the anointing of God, will be required to set the captive free.
- I pray that the fellowship of your faith may become effective (energized) through the knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ's sake. (Philemon 1:6 NASB)
- We should pray for divine energizing of our words as we share our testimonies of Christ’s work within us. Exploring the New Testament and discovering ALL that we have within us through Christ will cause an expansion of your faith. So look up “in Christ” and “Christ in us,” and “in whom.” We do this in our book, The Great Mystery.
- For the word of God is living and active (energizing), and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Heb. 4:12 NASB)
- The Bible is anointed and energized by God. It has the power to get down to the real issues, what does your heart think and believe and intend to do.
- Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective (energizing) prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. (James 5:16 NASB)
- The Spirit-energized prayer of a righteous man is effective, as it imparts divine energy. Repentance of sins clears the way for the flow of God’s energy and power. So part of healing prayer will incorporate repentance of sin. Look especially for unforgiveness, anger, resentment, and repent of these. I have seen deliverance and healing occur immediately when a person repented of these things.
By Dr. Mark and Dr. Patti Virkler (2014)
May be freely reproduced and distributed in its entirety
Go Deeper - Get Healthy!
Check out this entire blog series on Vibrant Health! - Miracles PLUS Gifts of Healings. Working through this series on health is ideal for both individuals and groups. The more we take responsibility for ourselves - spirit, soul and body - the healthier we become! Won't you join me in living to at least 100 in vibrant health?
Related Resources:How to Enjoy Vibrant Health!
Related Blogs:Vibrant Health