For those of us hungering to see more of the miracle-working power of God released through us, we present this paper which explores in depth one of the three Greek words translated “power” in the New Testament. The summary below deals with Energeo, which is the active flow of God’s healing power out through our hands as we lay them on the sick.
Light flashes from his (and our) hand, there where his power is hidden. (Hab. 3:4 GNB)
Greek Words for Power
God has given us authority (Exusia) to cast out demons and heal the sick
New York Power Authority – Authorized to see that power is provided to NYS residents
The Holy Spirit provides us power (dunamis/dynamite) from God to perform these miracles
Niagara Mohawk power plant provides the power to each home
When I speak and lay hands on the sick, I am actively releasing (energeo) God’s energy
A toaster provides an active release of this energy
The Greek word “Energeo” Defined from Bible Dictionaries:
- Kittle – Theological Dictionary of the New Testament: Active energy, to be at work
- Robinson’s Word Pictures: To energize, God is the energizer of the universe
- Thayer’s Greek Definitions: To put forth power, to work for one, to aid one, to effect
A Working Definition of Energeo
The power of God available through the Holy Spirit and experienced as active, flowing energy which accomplishes God’s works. We feel energized by it. It feels like active energy.
A Summary of the New Testament Uses of the Greek Word “Energeo”
This “active energy”(energeo) operates in the release of divine power for miracles and gifts of healings, the sustaining of the universe, the energizing of individual gifts within people, the opening of doors God provides for us to minister as well as when we preach under the Spirit’s anointing. Our faith is “energized” by love. For faith to be effective, it must be coupled with God’s heartbeat emotion, which is love and compassion. This “active energy” is also present in the experience of God’s manifest presence (sometimes called the “glory” of God). This “active energy” illumines the Scriptures to our hearts and minds, and ministers Spirit life to the hearts of those who hear the preaching of the word. Below is a delineation of what is accomplished through “energeo” (i.e. the active flow of divine energy):
- God is energizing the Christian, and is working all things out for good: God energizes Christians by His Spirit, to accomplish His good pleasure (Col. 1:29; Phil. 2:13). This energizing is done by the Holy Spirit (Col. 1:29; 1 Cor. 12:11). While demons can energize non-Christians, their energizing power is limited by God (Jn. 19:11) and will ultimately be overcome by God (Eph. 2:2; 2 Thess. 2:9,11). For those who want to be deceived, God energizes them with a strong delusion (2 Thess. 2:11).
- Both the Bible and Spirit-anointed preaching are energized by God: The Bible is anointed and energized by God and transforming for those who receive its truths (1 Thess. 2:13; Heb. 4:12). Spirit-energized preaching can transform the lives of those which receive it and believe (Phil. 1:6).
- The gifts and ministry one has including the open doors one has to work and minister, come from divine energizing through the Holy Spirit: The gifts one has, the ministry one is called to, and open doors to minister are “energizings” from God (1 Cor. 12:6,10,11; Gal. 2:7,8; Eph. 3:7; 1 Cor. 16:9). We are to labor according to the energizing of the Holy Spirit working within us (Col. 1:29). When we operate in the divine gifts God has placed within us, serving one another with these gifts, we build up and energize the body of Christ (Eph. 4:16). As we draw upon Christ’s life in trying situations, the testimony of His in-working power energizes others (2 Cor. 4:11,12). We should pray for divine energizing of our words as we share our testimonies of Christ’s work within us (Phil. 1:6).
- Spirit-energized prayer accomplishes supernatural results, including deliverance and healing: The energized prayer of a righteous man is effective, as it imparts God’s power (James 5:17). Divine energizing brings forth divine works (Eph. 1:29; 3:20; Mk. 6:13,14). Faith is energized when coupled with love (Gal. 5:6). God’s energy within us releases God’s grace to us and this is FREELY received (Gal. 3:5-7). The energizing release of power for a miracle comes from God and is not a result of the works of the law but a hearing with faith (Gal. 3:5). It was God’s energy that brought forth Jesus from the dead (Eph. 1:20).
You can sense His Energizing (Energeo) of the Holy Spirit in the following ways (especially as you tune to inner sensations)
- When our hands are energized by the Holy Spirit, it is sensed as warmth, fire, heat, tingling and energy. This is often experienced as we lay hands on the sick (Lk. 5:17; Mk. 5:30).
- When our hearts are energized by the Holy Spirit, it is sensed as an inner quickening resulting in a flow of faith, hope, love, compassion, joy, peace, mercy, power. We are experiencing the manifestation and fruit of the Holy Spirit within us (Gal. 5:22; 1 Cor. 12:7-11).
- When our lips are energized by the Holy Spirit it is sensed as a flow of words which come through the instruction of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 2:13) and set the captive free (Lk. 4:32). We are “speaking the oracles of God” (1 Pet. 4:10,11). It is our hearts instructing our mouths and adding persuasiveness to our lips (Prov. 16:23), or another way to say this, the Holy Spirit within is teaching our lips what to say (1 Cor. 2:13).
- When our work is energized by the Holy Spirit, it is sensed as working at ease, experiencing flow, creativity and productivity and is considered a “live work” rather than a dead work (Heb. 6:1,2).
- When our mind is energized by the Holy Spirit, it is sensed as flowing, anointed, creative thoughts and is called “the mind of Christ” (1 Cor. 2:1-16).
We receive God’s Energizing (Energeo) in each of the following situations:
- When we invite the Holy Spirit to be present, we can look and see Him as light and glory shimmering around us, through us and through His creation. One way we honor the Holy Spirit is by inviting Him to be present and stating our dependence upon His healing power to be released to perform the miracle at hand. This results in Him manifesting Himself in the ways we need (i.e. the power to heal, or any of the 9 fruits or 9 manifestation of the Spirit (Gal 5:22,23; 1 Cor. 12:7-11).
- When we pray for healing, we ask for the Holy Spirit’s power and compassion to be present. We tune to God’s compassion arising in our hearts, and a sensation of energy being present in our hands which we may experience as trembling/tingling and often heat. As we touch the sick, we release that energy into their beings. The Holy Spirit’s flow and power can be restricted when any of the following are present: any opposite of love, mercy and compassion (i.e. unforgiveness, anger, bitterness, hatred, rage), unconfessed sin, not welcoming and drawing upon the Holy Spirit’s presence and speaking negative words (Eph. 4:29-32).
- As we worship in Spirit (Jn. 4:23,24) we see ourselves gathered with the heavenly host before His throne in worship (Rev. 4). We find we are soaking up the atmosphere of heaven when we see the power of God streaming from His throne as rays of light penetrating our beings (Hab. 3:4). We soak up that power and light and then see it released out through us as we lay hands on people and pray for them to be healed by the power of the Holy Spirit and in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- You will note that in each of the above situations, you entered into a state of rest, ceasing your own labors and believing in the power of God to accomplish (Heb. 3 & 4). You honored the Holy Spirit by welcoming His presence, and then you tuned to the Holy Spirit, Who is experienced within as a river (Jn. 7:37-39). This means you tuned to flowing thoughts, flowing pictures, flowing emotions and flowing power which are all coming from our heavenly Father seated in the throne room of God.
- Now all of this can become the natural way you live as you choose to “abide in Christ” (Jn. 15). King David also wrote about abiding (Ps. 15:1) and in the following chapter he says that the way he did this was to place the Lord at His right hand, all the time (Ps. 16:8; Acts 2:25). So we can choose to do this. We can see Jesus at our right hand all the time, working on our behalf. As we tune to flow, what we see Him doing become visions of divine reality which we say “yes” to, and do ourselves. Thus we take on Jesus’ actions, releasing Christ into our surroundings!
SEEING Spiritual Realities Energizes Heart Faith
Pictures are the language of our hearts. When our heart speaks to us in our sleep (Ps. 16:7), it does so in dreams which are composed of pictures. The Bible says the issues of life flow from our hearts (Prov. 4:23).
When Abram, “the Father of Faith” SAW God’s promised provision as a divinely imparted picture (i.e. “the stars of the sky”), the Bible says THEN Abram believed (Gen. 15:5, 6). SEEING a spiritual reality with the eyes of our hearts enhances faith in our hearts. The Bible says that the one who does not doubt in his heart can cast mountains into the sea, and all things become possible to him who believes. Let us always see God’s energy flowing, everywhere.
We recommend that you look and see the flow of God’s divine energy (energeo) as you pray for healing, and that you practice tuning to flow, so you can feel it also. Why not?
Journaling from Mark Virkler about God’s Power
Mark, My power sustains all things. It is the manifestation of My power that releases creative miracles. When you come into My presence you see Me. You see My power. You see My glory. And then you command My will on earth as you see it in heaven. The kingdom comes to earth because the one who has been breathing in the atmosphere of My heaven, releases that atmosphere on My earth through his commands. So it is all about Me. It is about being in My presence and releasing my presence on My earth. It is about breathing in My glory and then exhaling it on My earth. Behold I have spoken. Behold it is to be done.
Mark, you see My glory as light which shines forth from My Throne and My Presence. You breathe in My light and My power and My peace and My authority, and then you exhale. You breathe it out upon My earth, and it changes and transforms My earth. It brings My Kingdom to My earth. It releases Me and My power upon My earth. This is what I have chosen for My Church to do. This is your job.
Journaling from Mark Virkler about God’s Glory
Mark, do not make My manifest presence hard. It is not hard. Yes, it is true that I choose when to manifest Myself. I have chosen to manifest My presence and My glory when I am invited to do so. It is as simple as that. Do not make it any harder. When you ask according to My will, then you receive that which you have asked for. It IS My will to manifest My glory throughout the whole world. So ask, and receive that your joy be made full. My glory does arise over My people. It does protect and empower them. It is My will to do so and for My world to see this glory.
Mark, the more you live and see yourself seated with Me in heaven, the more you are endued with heaven’s atmosphere and are able to release heaven on earth. For that which you live in is what you see, breathe and soak up. Then it is that which you release to others. So come and live in My heavens, for that is where I have placed you. You ARE seated with Me in heavenly places. Come up here often and see My glory and My kingdom, and then release it on earth. Behold I have spoken, behold it is to be done.
Lord, I come. Take me by the hand and show me around. I come to see Your glory and to breathe in Your atmosphere and to release it on earth.
Spiritual Senses Which Are Utilized as We Sense God’s Power (Eyes, ears and emotions)
- The eyes and ears of our hearts see and hear (Jn. 5:19,20,30): We can ask God to show us the flow of His power and any blockages which may need to be removed. Tune to flowing pictures and flowing thoughts, and act on what you receive.
- Emotions of our hearts which sense/feel: We ask the Holy Spirit to manifest God’s compassion on the person/situation to whom we are ministering, and then we sense that compassion supernaturally arise within us (Matt. 14:14).
Research – Exploring All Uses of the Greek Word “Energeo”
Miracles and healings occur when God’s energy flows through us to heal. The objective of the file All Uses of “Energeo” is to provide a Biblical foundation for the flow of the Holy Spirit’s power when ministering divine healing.
- Click here for a blog on, “All Uses of Energeo.”
- Click here to download a printable version of this blog, "I Release Divine Energy - Energeo"
By Dr. Mark and Dr. Patti Virkler (2014)
May be freely reproduced and distributed in its entirety
Available at: www.cwgministries.org/ReleaseDivineEnergy
Go Deeper - Get Healthy!
Check out this entire blog series on Vibrant Health! - Miracles PLUS Gifts of Healings. Working through this series on health is ideal for both individuals and groups. The more we take responsibility for ourselves - spirit, soul and body - the healthier we become! Won't you join me in living to at least 100 in vibrant health?